Protect Kids from Swallowing Button Cell Batteries

Protect Kids from Swallowing Button Cell Batteries

(BPT) - People are spending more time in their homes, and there are devices everywhere, like remotes, key fobs and thermometers that may include small button cell batteries that can be a hidden danger. While button cell batteries are important for providing the power necessary for certain devices to function properly, many people don't realize these batteries, if ingested, can be dangerous to young children.

According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, 20mm button cell batteries are associated with serious injuries because they are about the same size as a child’s esophagus and as a result can get lodged in their throat and burn through the surrounding tissue. Button cell batteries can lead to serious damage of a child’s esophagus in a short period of time and can burn a hole through the tissue in as little as two hours.

Young children are curious by nature, and part of their exploration of the world around them can include putting things in their mouths. To children, the small button cell batteries, which are about the size of a nickel, can look like money, candy, or a toy and can be easily swallowed.

Even the most child-proofed homes can still have hidden dangers, Duracell encourages consumers to practice the following hands-on prevention steps:

1. Keep items out of reach of children
Many common household devices use button cell batteries and should be kept up high or out of reach. For example, don't leave remotes easily accessible on end tables or in drawers where children can play with them, and instead place them high on shelves or other places where they will be out of reach of children.

Personal devices that use button cell batteries, such as thermometers, should also be stored securely while not in use, like in a medicine cabinet or inaccessible closet space. Be sure to also lock up any unused or loose batteries and dispose of any old batteries according to local regulations. The key is preparation to make sure kids can’t get to devices that use button cell batteries.
2. Take an inventory and ensure seals are tight
Take inventory of your home and all of the devices that are powered by button cell batteries. You may be surprised just how many items use this type of battery. Make sure to completely secure the compartment where the battery is located. This means if there is an opening that turns, be sure to make it tight until it doesn't turn anymore. If there are screws, replace and turn each one completely. If screws are missing, replace the screws or add an extra layer of seal such as with strong tape. For any compartments that are not secured, seal with tape. Periodically check these items and tighten or secure as needed.
3. Educate yourself and your kids
Duracell and the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) have teamed up to help educate parents and caregivers about the importance of button cell battery safety to help prevent accidental button cell battery ingestions. It is important to acknowledge that button cell batteries are in many devices, but they can be dangerous if ingested.

Additionally, make sure you have the most up-to-date information on button cell battery safety. Talk to your pediatrician about the latest in button cell battery safety and help keep your children safe. Parents can also find more information at and
4. Another line of defense
Some button cell batteries come with additional safety features, like the Duracell button cell battery with bitter coating, which is designed to help discourage a child from swallowing it and comes in child-secure packaging.

In Australia, one child a month is seriously injured after swallowing or inserting a button cell battery.

Warning Over Button Battery Danger For Kids

Get help immediately

If you suspect that a child in your care has swallowed a button cell battery you need to act quickly. Bring your child to the nearest emergency room immediately. If you have questions, call the Poisons Info Hotline on 13 11 26.

If there is breathing problems/decreased conscious level, call an ambulance on 000.